by DannyR
Too many monkeys screaming in my head,
Footfalls of silence, drumbeats of dread,
A sky full of airplanes, a puddle full of red,
And your voice telling me its time I went to bed.
The dogs protest the passing of the paperboy outside
The sky carries the promise of the dying of the light
The daisies in the vase on the sill have nearly died
And your voice telling me you’re not staying tonight.
The creak of the stairs on my way up to my room,
The moment’s hesitation as I peer into the gloom,
The darkness dispelled by the switch I flick anew
And your voice in the hallway as you bid me adieu.
No spiders ‘twixt the sheets nor goblins underneath the bed,
The pillow soft and cold beneath my weary heavy head,
A hundred thousand promises and the light have fled,
Your footsteps on the path outside a moment and you’ve left.
And still I hear the monkeys and I feel their greedy paws,
They chatter and they screech about societies and laws,
They paint themselves, no longer walking about upon all fours
They lie and steal but still their lies are nothing next to yours.
Shadows in the corners of my room are occupied,
Trees scratching on the windowpane, my eyes open wide,
The creaks and groans of timber, a kitchen full of knives,
The memory of your voice is little comfort now I find.
A shape there in the corner or a jacket on a chair?
A moment hiding ‘neath the sheets and now it’s moved I swear.
But nothing more occurs as into utter dark I stare,
The memory of your voice, the fervent wish that you were here.
Hours passing slowly, marching off into the gloom,
Following the example of the promises untrue
Leaving me alone, awake, here in this darkened room
They leave me to my nightmares, they leave me, just like you.
And still the monkeys scream, and the drumbeats do not fade
Though the light has disappeared with all the promises you made
And I’m drowning in the pool of blood, I cannot see the planes,
I swear I hear a footstep and I wish that you had stayed.
No comments:
Post a Comment