Saturday, April 18, 2009

Alive

It wasn’t that I wanted
To forget where I’d come from,
But momentum won’t be argued with -
I was just swept along.
Now, looking back I’ve realised
I don’t know how I began,
I’ve forgotten all my lessons
And let slip the life I planned.

I find myself as washed ashore,
My stricken ship abandoned,
The wreckage strewn along the beach,
Seemingly at random.
And gazing back from whence I came
It feels as but a dream –
Some other life, a different world
Out there, beyond the sea.

Yet here am I, despite the storm
It seems that I survived,
The only thing that matters now
Is that I am Alive.

- Danny Rudd 13/04/08

3 comments:

  1. This is my absolute favourite of my own poems... I liked the imagery, it's very Robinson Crusoe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last stanza, although I was reading it two ways.

    But I guess that was the intention?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely!!

    The word 'Alive' in the last line gets a capital letter to indicate that life can be about more than mere survival, it's what you make of it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Science vs Religion

Heart

Heart
I guess I just care too much...